Novastone builds next generation instant messaging solutions for businesses with high-value client relationships.
We believe the future of business communication is instant and context-rich conversations, wherever you may be. We empower organisations to manage client relationships on IM platforms like WhatsApp and WeChat, while remaining in control and compliant. Our secure instant messaging platform is designed to deliver high-touch, personalised client experiences through sales and account management teams, particularly suited for industries such as financial services, healthcare, and legal. Our clients include some of the best known global brands in these verticals.
We have mobile and web clients, along with a robust set of APIs for integration. We support white labelling of official IM accounts. We have made great strides towards becoming a cloud-native (AWS) company and now our clients benefit from scalability at ease through our managed multi-tenanted infrastructure, or private hosting.
We are headquartered in London and have an engineering team based in Belfast.
Team and role
As a Python engineer at Novastone, you’ll be working on the backend team. You’ll help us implement new features, integrate with other platforms, move to microservices and pay back technical debt. You’ll propose solutions that meet product and engineering requirements and design, build, and support them. You’ll work closely with colleagues in our Belfast and London offices and actively contribute to our product direction and roadmap. We follow a mature Kanban implementation, utilise Extreme Programming techniques, and our technology stack includes Python, AWS, Terraform, Serverless, Docker, Git and Jenkins.
- Work closely with the product, mobile, web and infrastructure teams to build RESTful APIs for new features and integrations with other collaboration platforms
- Help us continue our move to microservices
- Follow cloud-native patterns to deliver cost-effective, scalable and secure services
- Be prepared to try new ways of working and solving problems, challenging yourself and fellow colleagues, and embracing failure and the opportunity to learn from it
- Pair up across all teams to design, review, build and maintain new product features
- Love discovering and learning new things through research and training, and sharing those learnings personally or presenting in sessions to colleagues
- Write high-quality automated tests, preferably following TDD
- Be passionate about improving the status quo but think iteratively about how to do so
- Dig into existing solutions to understand how they work
- Lead technical design reviews to elicit feedback from other engineers
You should have experience in
- Python! Specifically, using it to build cloud-native and RESTful services that are scalable, secure and resilient
- Writing all kinds of automated tests and TDD
- Other extreme programming techniques like pair programming and trunk-based development
- Integrating distributed services and considering how your decisions impact platform availability and data consistency
- Building, improving and maintaining CI/CD pipelines
- Leveraging services provided by AWS and others so that you don’t reinvent the wheel
- Implementing serverless solutions
- Iteratively improving the design of existing code
- Contributing in design reviews and retros
- A competitive salary with stock options
- A modern laptop, a relaxed working environment with dedicated working hours and agreements, and management that are approachable and open
- A remote working policy
- Training budget & dedicated time to do it
- A monthly lab day (hack-day), weekly demos, lightning talks, and regular knowledge-sharing sessions
- An open and inclusive team environment
- Our primary office locations are London and Belfast
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Please send your CV to Owen at firstname.lastname@example.org